Weimar was founded in 1873 in anticipation that the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway was going to build through the site. The community was first called "Jackson", after D. W. Jackson, a native Georgian and area landowner who donated land for the railroad right-of-way and the townsite. The populace subsequently chose the name "Weimar"; an early record states that Thomas W. Pierce, who authorized Jackson to sell lots at the site, had visited Weimar, Germany, and was favorably impressed. The Weimar post office was established in 1873. The town was incorporated in 1875. After beginning with a few hundred townspeople, Weimar had by its tenth birthday achieved a population over 1,000. As it grew, Weimar established itself as a center of trade for pecans, poultry, and dairy products. By 1877, the town was large enough to make its first city map. In 1888, Weimar witnessed the origin of the first town newspaper, The Weimar Mercury, which currently remains in publication. Local industries include meat processing, tooling and sheet-metal works, and manufacturing of gaskets. Agriculture continues to play an important role, as Weimar continues to trade in feed grain, poultry, corn, pecans, and beef. The former GH&SA railroad remains in service today as part of the Union Pacific Railroad system. Throughout the 20th century, Weimar enjoyed a slow yet steady growth in population, increasing on average by 250 persons every ten years. Business establishments held their numbers steady at around 70. After a high population of 2,400 in 1976, the town declined slightly in the following decade. In 1980, the population was 2,128. In 1990, the population of Weimar was 2,052, and in 2000 it was 1,981. By 2010, the population had rebounded to 2,151.